Don’t worry. I will not start the year with new year’s resolutions. Every day is a new day and a new page of your life. So every day in your life you can start something new and start with new habits. I do believe that this is much stronger than new year’s resolutions. As small steps are much easier to take than achieving big goals.
It is also not about reaching your goals in life, the journey towards your goal is even more important. A goal is only a way to guide you to take steps to improve and to give you inspiration. But the journey is the path and that can change along the way. So also your goals can change.
But if you want to improve yourself or be happier with yourself, you need some goals, dreams and habits to help you to take those small steps. I would like to share some things you can do to start with good habits. Don’t start with them all together, but choose one thing and repeat it every day. With repeating this it will eventually become a habit. It will be part of your system, so you don’t have to think about it anymore. Remember to take small steps and add new habits bit by bit.
Tips for starting good habits:
- Start the day with drinking a glass of water. And keep drinking water the rest of the day.
- Take a daily walk. Start with 5 minutes, and increase it every week with 5 minutes. Till you find a length that is suitable for you to keep walking on a daily basis.
- Set an alarm in the morning and evening. So you can adjust yourself to a stable sleep pattern.
- Choose for less screen time and focus on the things you are doing. Don’t get distracted by all the things around you. Live in the moment. Plan screen time and don’t use all your free time for screen time.
- What do you feed yourself with? I am not only talking about food, but also the things you check on your phone, what you watch on television and what you listen to on the radio. Choose carefully what you want to feed yourself with and make a choice every day. So eventually you only feed yourself with the things you want.
- Make time every day for yourself. What do you like to do? Cooking, painting, meditating or reading? Plan it and give yourself that time.