Winter will start soon and that means that we are having long and dark nights. What a good excuse to get some extra sleep. Cosy and warm underneath a blanket and zzzzzz….
Good sleep is important for good health and a happy mood. But not every night is a good one. As every day of your life is different, so are the nights. And that is ok. Don’t worry if some nights are shorter or not good. Also that is part of life.
But there are some things you can do to improve your sleep. Hereby some tips I would like to share with you.
- Start a habit to have a daily walk or get some exercise. Getting some sunlight and moving will improve your sleep.
- Eat healthy and don’t eat too late in the evening, so you still have some time for digesting the food before going to sleep.
- Don’t drink coffee, tea and alcohol before going to sleep. Minimise the intake of these drinks.
- Set a timer in the morning to wake up and also a timer before you go to bed. If you have a daily sleep schedule, it will improve your sleep.
- Use your bedroom only for sleeping. Don’t have any distractions like a television and other electronic devices. The room needs to be peaceful and without any clutter.
- Sleep in a cool and dark room. According to experts the best room temperature is between 15,5 till 19,4 °Celsius. Darken the room to block unwanted light.
- Invest in a good mattress and pillow so you can sleep comfortably.
- Start about one hour before you go to sleep with a wind down ritual. Turn off devices, take a bath or shower and dim the lights.
- End the day in a good way with some yoga poses, write in your gratitude journal, listen to some music, read a book and take some time for meditation.
Do you have a tip that you want to share with me? Let me know. Have a good sleep!
– Sleep Foundation