In the western world we are used to listening to our mind. But mind and heart are connected, they need to be in balance to make a proper decision. You can even say the heart is more important than the mind.
The main reason is that mostly our feelings or ‘gut feelings’ are correct, without knowing why. The brain functions in a way that protects us from danger. In the past humans only could survive by finding the right food, a safe place to stay and to be out of danger. And even now, our brain works in the same way. It always finds an excuse to choose the safest way.
Most of the people are already living in a ‘safe environment’. So we have the luxury to make more out of our lives than just simply surviving and reproducing. We can follow our dreams and our hearts. But to know what your dreams are, you need to connect to yourself. You need to get to know yourself and listen to your inner voice. Get out of your head, into your heart. By connecting with your true self, you can develop to listen to your intuition. Intuition is like ‘knowing’ something without a rational explanation. It just ‘feels right’, without knowing why and it guides you through life.
Hereby some tips how you can develop your intuition:
- Journaling. By writing down your feelings you are more aware of them.
- Yoga. Connect mind and body by yoga practice. Become aware of your body.
- Meditation. You become more aware of the signals your body is sending to you.
- Find distraction. If you force yourself to find a solution or make a decision, it mostly gets more difficult and you can block yourself. By letting it go and doing something else, at a later moment you can make a decision that feels right.
- Practice mindfulness. When you slow down and pay attention to the things you are doing in the moment, you can also tune in to your inner voice.
- Stop judging your feelings and thoughts. Just notice them without judging. If they are useful, you can do something with it. If not, you let them go.
- Get creative. When you come into a flow, you are also more aware of your inner voice.
- Spend time in nature, so you can connect with your true self.
It’s important that you are aware of it when you are too much in your head. By doing some things on this list you can connect body and mind and develop your intuition. Learn to trust your intuition and believe in yourself. And always be yourself.