Only a few days left and it is Halloween! Take out the Halloween decorations and prepare a small party with friends or go out.
This holiday tradition originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts. The new year of the Celts (people who lived in the area of Ireland, United Kingdom and northern France) started on the 1st of November. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of 31st October they celebrated Samhain, an evening that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth.
Are you already scared? Don’t be afraid. Everyone will die and death is part of life. So use this chance to remember your loved ones who already passed away and connect with them. Light a candle for them or put some sweets around their photos. Be grateful for their role in your life and thank them. Even when you can’t see them, they will remain a part of your life. Some other things you can do this Halloween:
- Make a vegan pumpkin soup and invite your friends to come over to enjoy it together.
- Watch a movie like Halloweentown, Hocus Pocus, Coco, Halloween, Casper, Child’s Play or The Addams Family.
- Trick or treat! Make some vegan snacks and share it with your friends and family. What do you think of vegan ghost cupcakes, vegan zombie brain cupcakes, raw candy skull crushers, mummied bananas or spooky black bean hummus.
- Carve a pumpkin.
- Play a board game like Halloween, Escape the Dark Castle or Mysterium.
- Check some events in your neighbourhood. Some cities arrange a walk in the dark visiting some scary places, there are theme parks decorated in Halloween style or maybe there is a party nearby that you can visit.
What are your plans for Halloween? Enjoy!